What Forms are Required for New Employees?
What is E-Verify?
E-Verify is an online system that employers can use to confirm an employee’s eligibility to work in the US. It compares the information on an employee’s I-9 to data from the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. Many states require employers to use E-Verify, so be sure to check the laws in your jurisdiction.
State Withholding Tax Forms
Which states collect income tax?
Only seven states lack income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming, with Tennessee gradually reducing its income tax until it is eliminated altogether in 2022. Tennessee and New Hampshire currently impose a limited income tax on dividend and interest income only (earned income is exempt).
New Hire Reporting Form
Other Important Paperwork for New Hires
Employment Offer Letter
- Type of employment: permanent or fixed term; full or part time
- Job description, including the new hire’s general duties and obligations
- Type of compensation: hourly wage, salary, or commission-based
- Pay period: biweekly, monthly, etc.
- Work hours and overtime policies
- Starting vacation time
- Notice required for employer termination and employee resignation
- Confidentiality clause: prevents a former employee from sharing any of your business’s information for personal gain.
- Non-solicitation clause: prohibits a former employee from recruiting your employees to another workplace, also referred to as poaching.
- Non-compete clause: restricts a former employee from unfairly competing against you in the same type of business.
- General employment policies, such as dress code, probationary period, and termination procedures.
- Work schedule, including break times, reporting absences, and guidelines for flexible schedules.
- Compensation details, including overtime pay, bonuses, and salary increases.
- A description of employee benefits, including eligibility requirements. Some benefits, namely family and medical leave, Social Security, and workers’ compensation, must be offered by law, while others, such as health care insurance and a 401(k) plan, are optional.
- A statement of your business’s anti-discrimination policies, based on the equal employment opportunity laws that all business owners must comply with.
- A statement of compliance with occupational safety and health (OSH) laws that require employers to offer a workplace free from health and safety hazards.
- Policies for creating a secure work environment, such as locking computers when not in use.
Have new hires sign a form acknowledging receipt of the employee handbook, to indicate that they have read and understood your company’s policies and guidelines.
Direct Deposit Authorization Form
Many banks will not open accounts for individuals with bad credit, in which case they cannot be paid by direct deposit. However, having a bank account is not a prerequisite for cashing a check, so if a new hire does not have an account, you can either write them paper checks or use a payroll card. These reloadable cards function much like debit or credit cards and are issued by most major payment processors.