Free Child Travel Consent

Answer a few simple questions Print and download instantly It takes just 5 minutes

Create Your Free Child Travel Consent

  1. Answer a few simple questions
  2. Email, download or print instantly
  3. Just takes 5 minutes

Child Travel Consent

Supervision Details

Supervision Details

other adult

Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a legal guardian?A legal guardian is a person who acts as the primary caretaker of a minor. They have the legal right to make decisions for the child.

This person may be selected by the child's biological parents or appointed by the court.

A Child Travel Consent Form is a document parents and guardians use to grant permission for their minor children to travel without them. It aims to keep minors safe, protect parental rights, and prevent abductions across borders.

International and domestic border security personnel can ask for a consent form when a child travels without one or both legal guardians, with a temporary guardian (i.e., grandparent), or by themselves.

A Child Travel Consent Form is also known as an:

  • Authorisation letter for travelling minor
  • Travel consent form for a minor
  • Child travel consent letter
  • Parental consent for travel

Any child under 18 years old travelling without one or both parents, whether internationally or domestically, should have a Child Travel Consent Form. Completing this consent form is essential because authorities need proof that a child is travelling with both parents’ permission. Examples of when you need this form include when your child is travelling:

  • Unaccompanied and meeting a guardian at their destination
  • With a group, sports team, or other organisation
  • With grandparents or other family members
  • With only one parent
  • For a school trip

The adult travelling with the child should carry the form in their possession. 

Having a Child Travel Consent is especially important when travelling outside of Australia, as many countries require international minors to travel with documentation that proves parental authorisation. For example, the European Union (EU) and the United States of America have requirements for Child Travel Consent letters. In addition, many countries have joined the Hague Convention, a treaty that helps return children who have faced international abduction by a parent.

Additional documentation for travelling with children

It's important to prepare all the other documents your child may need for their trip. In addition to a Child Travel Consent Form, you may also need to send the following documents with them:

  • Copy of parent or guardian ID to verify your consent details
  • Birth certificate or adoption papers
  • Proof of any required vaccinations

Always check the advisory details of the destination your child is travelling to for any further details you may need to prepare for their trip.

Additionally, airlines or transportation services may have requirements for children travelling domestically and internationally, including ages they can travel alone or paperwork they may need.

If your child is travelling without both parents, you should create a Child Medical Consent form so a temporary guardian can make medical decisions on your behalf. This document will assist medical staff in an emergency and note any medications your child may need when travelling. 

Yes, separated and single parents need Child Travel Consent Forms. If a child is only travelling with one parent or guardian, the other needs to complete a Child Travel Consent Form. The only exceptions are parents with sole custody (e.g., one parent has passed away). However, proof of custody or a death certificate may still be necessary to travel in these cases.

A single parent travelling with a child will need the regular documents required to travel but should also include additional papers applicable to their situation. For example, some parents have surnames that are different from their children's, so the correct documents can prove their relationship if questioned by travel authorities. Additional documents can include:

  • The child’s birth certificate,
  • Adoption certificate or guardianship papers
  • Marriage certificate
  • Proof of separation and custody (i.e., Separation Agreement or divorce papers)

After specifying whether your child will be travelling domestically or internationally, simply fill in the following information in our user-friendly Child Travel Consent Form template:

1. Describe the travel plans

Outline where your child is travelling and their trip itinerary. Immigration officers and authorities need to know where and when your child will be and what permission you have given for travel. This includes:

  • Destination
  • Dates of their trip
  • Accommodation names and addresses

With LawDepot’s questionnaire, you can include more than one destination if your child is taking a more extensive trip with various legs of the journey.

2. Provide your child’s details

Next, you need to include your child’s full given name and their date and place of birth.

To help save time before their trip, you can fill in the consent form with your child’s passport and birth certificate details now or wait until later if it applies to the trip. 

Though it’s not always mandatory, having your child travel with their birth certificate both locally and internationally is good practice to verify their identity and relationship to you.

3. Provide the supervision details

Include the information about who your child is travelling with and who will supervise them on their trip. This can be:

  • One parent
  • Grandparents
  • Other family members
  • School or organisation
  • Travelling alone

Include the name(s) and passport details of the supervisor travelling with your child. If they are travelling alone, include the name of the person picking them up at their destination. Many countries and travel companies require these details depending on the age requirements in place.

4. List emergency contact details

You have the option to include an emergency contact in case you or the other legal guardian cannot be reached. If you include an emergency contact, provide their name and contact details.

5. Sign the form  

Both parents or guardians should sign this consent form unless one has sole custody. Include names, contact details, and if a notary will be present during the signing.

If a child is travelling with one parent, this will be the details of the one not travelling with them who permits the trip.

Yes, notarising your consent form is important and should be done for international travel. Many countries require it because it validates your permission in the eyes of travel authorities. If it isn’t notarised, it may delay or prevent your child’s travel.

Though it’s not as necessary when travelling domestically, it’s still an excellent idea to notarise your consent form, as it further validates your child’s permission to travel.

Related documents:

  • Child Medical Consent: Create a consent form to give a temporary guardian permission to authorise medical treatments for your child.
  • Last Will and Testament: Write how you want your estate to be distributed after you pass away.
  • Codicil: Add, change, or remove information or clauses in your existing Last Will.
  • Power of Attorney: Give an individual authorisation to make financial, business, and other decisions on your behalf.
  • Separation Agreement: Outline the terms of your separation from a spouse.
Thumbnail of sample of Child Travel Consent Form document


Child Travel Consent Form

Personalise your Child Travel Consent Form.

Print or download in minutes.

Create your free Child Travel Consent with our step-by-step questionnaire
Know a parent who needs a Child Travel Consent Form? Pass it along:
This document preview is formatted to fit your mobile device. The formatting will change when printed or viewed on a desktop computer.
Loading ...
Loading ...

Note: Your initial answers are saved automatically when you preview your document.
This screen can be used to save additional copies of your answers.