Free Child Travel Consent

Answer a few simple questions Print and download instantly It takes just 5 minutes

Create Your Free Child Travel Consent

  1. Answer a few simple questions
  2. Email, download or print instantly
  3. Just takes 5 minutes

Child Travel Consent



Last Updated February 29, 2024

A Child Travel Consent Form is a document parents or guardians can use to inform travel authorities that their child is allowed to travel in their absence. It is often used to allow a child to travel alone or with a chaperone (like a family member, friend, or teacher). It is also used to inform travel authorities that one parent can travel with the child alone (for example, if the parents are separated or divorced).

LawDepot's Child Travel Consent Form can be used in:

  • Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
  • New South Wales (NSW)
  • Northern Territory (NT)
  • Queensland (QLD)
  • South Australia (SA)
  • Tasmania (TAS)
  • Victoria (VIC)
  • Western Australia (WA)

A Child Travel Consent is also known as a:

  • Travel Consent Letter
  • Travel Permission Letter
  • Child Travel Authorisation Form
  • Parental Consent Form for Travel
  • Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad

You should provide your child with a consent for travel form whenever the child is travelling without you or without the child’s other parent present. In particular, a Child Travel Consent should be obtained if:

  • The child is travelling somewhere alone
  • You are a school chaperone and are planning to travel with students who are under 18 (or the age of majority for your jurisdiction)
  • You are a grandparent, aunt, uncle, family friend, etc. and are travelling with a minor
  • You are single parent or are separated or divorced from your spouse and are travelling with your child

Keep in mind, if travel authorities request a Child Travel Consent Form and you, your child, or their temporary guardian are unable to provide one, your child may be delayed or prevented from travelling to their destination.

Generally, a Child Travel Consent will include:

  • Information about your child, including their name, and place and date of birth
  • Information about who your child will be travelling with (e.g. with one parent, an adult who is not their parent or guardian, an organisation or group, or alone), including their name, address, and passport information (if needed)
  • Travel details, including whether travel is domestic or international and the anticipated itinerary (like departure and arrival dates)
  • The child's passport information, if needed
  • The child's birth certificate information, if desired
  • Information for an emergency contact (optional)
  • The signature (or signatures) from the child's parent(s) or guardian(s)
  • A notary's acknowledgment, if required

Depending on your circumstance, you may not be required to provide passport and birth certificate information on your travel permission letter or have your child carry these documents on them during their trip. However, providing this information is typically a good idea in the event that travel authorities request additional proof of the child's identity. If travel authorities question your child's identity and additional identification can't be provided, your child may be delayed or prevented from travelling to their destination.

Consent in a Child Travel Consent Form should be provided by whoever has full legal custody of the child, such as:

  • A single parent with sole custody
  • Two parents with joint custody (either parents who are still together or parents who are separated or divorced)
  • A legal guardian (or guardians, if more than one person is named)

Can a child travel with one parent?

You should create a Child Travel Consent Form whenever your child's guardianship may be called into question by travel authorities, such as when a child is travelling with one parent and not the other or when one parent has sole custody. Using a travel consent letter can help demonstrate to travel authorities that you gained consent from the child's other parent or that you have the sole authority to consent to travel for your child.

Related documents:

  • Child Medical Consent: Provide someone with your consent for medical treatment for your child in case of a medical emergency.
  • Last Will and Testament: Express how you want your estate to be distributed after you pass away.
  • Codicil: Use this document to add, change, or remove information or clauses in your existing Last Will.
  • Power of Attorney: Create a Power of Attorney to allow another person to make financial, business, and other decisions on your behalf.
Thumbnail of sample of Child Travel Consent Form document


Child Travel Consent Form

Personalise your Child Travel Consent Form.

Print or download in minutes.

Create your free Child Travel Consent with our step-by-step questionnaire
Know a parent who needs a Child Travel Consent Form? Pass it along:
This document preview is formatted to fit your mobile device. The formatting will change when printed or viewed on a desktop computer.
Loading ...
Loading ...

Note: Your initial answers are saved automatically when you preview your document.
This screen can be used to save additional copies of your answers.